Beef and Potato Cakes For the roast: 4-5 lbs beef shoulder roast (grass fed)
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp Alaea Red Hawaiian Coarse
fresh ground pepper
1 medium onion sliced
For the potato cakes:
5-6 medium russet potatoes, peeled
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp parsley flakes
12 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 medium onions, sliced
1. Cut five slits in the beef shoulder and poke the galic cloves in the holes. Sprinkle roast on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in crockpot. Slice the onion into thin slices and place on top of the meat. Cook on low for 8 hrs or high for 6. If you use grassfed beef it will flavor really well. No other seasonings needed.
2. Peel and quarter the potatoes. I steamed them using a steaming backet and regular pot until they were tender. You can boil them in water too. Do not overcook.
3. Next I placed the potatoes, eggs, almond meal, coconut flour, parsley and salt into a food processor. You can use a mixer as well. Blend until well mixed and potatoes are mashed.
4. Heat up a skillet and add about 1 tbsp coconut oil. Spoon potato mixture into the skillet. I had to use a spoon to spread it out to a pancake. Cook on both sides till golden brown. Mine took about 5 minutes each side in cast iron.
5. Saute the onions and mushrooms.
6. Place beef on top of potato cake, and top with onion and mushrooms. I also garnished with fresh parsley.
by Ali Diaz