Greek Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
For the Chicken: 4 chicken breasts or chicken thighs 1 lemon, juice and zest of 1/4 olive oil 3/4 tablespoon dried oregano 3/4 teaspoon salt (I use Himalayan) 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper 2 garlic cloves, minced
For the potatoes: 5 -6 medium brown or red potatoes 1 lemon, juice of 1/3 cup olive oil 1/3 cup water 1/2 teaspoon salt 3/4 tablespoon dried oregano 1/4 teaspoon pepper 3 garlic cloves, minced 1/2 cup Kalamata Greek olives fresh parsley to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Cut chicken breast or thighs into large chicken tenders (one breast gave me about 4 tenders).
3. Combine lemon juice and zest, olive oil, dried oregano, salt, ground pepper and garlic. Blend ingredients together, you will notice it thicken as you whisk it. I used an immersion blender and it will not thicken as much but it will emulsify the ingredients well.
4. Pour the marinade over the chicken and let it set for at least 30 min or more.
5. Cut the potatoes into quarter wedges. Combine and blend lemon juice, olive oil, water, dried oregano, salt, ground pepper and garlic. Place the potatoes large skillet (I love cast iron for this…cooks well and you get the benefits of the iron!) Pour the marinade over the potatoes and toss to coat.
6. Put the potatoes in the oven. Roast the potatoes until they are golden brown then then flip. Potatoes will cook for about an hour. During the last 30 minutes of cooking add the olives.
7. Option 1, grilling the chicken: I chose to grill the chicken. Grilling time depends on your grill.
8. Option 2, pan frying the chicken: If you choose to cook your chicken on the stove top, preheat your skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of your fat of choice (ghee, or coconut oil works well). Add your chicken tenders and brown on each side, making sure chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. This will take about 20 min. Do not overfill the skillet! Cook two rounds of chicken if you need to.
9. When potatoes and chicken are done, push the potatoes to the sides of the skillet. Place the chicken in the center and top with olives and parsley.
10. Serve with pan juices.
by Ali Diaz