8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
2 lbs lean ground beef, or pork, or a mixture of two
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoon cayenne pepper sauce
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 medium egg, beaten
1 cup almond meal
1 1/2 tablespoon arrowroot powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil
For the sauce:
3 tablespoons olive oil mayo
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper sauce
1. Place 8 eggs in the saucepan and add cold water to cover the eggs completely. Bring it to boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour off hot water and add cold water. Once cooled, peel the eggs and set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
3. Beat the remaining two eggs in bowl. Place almond flour and arrowroot powder in a bowl and mix well.
4. In a medium bowl, combine ground beef, garlic, cayenne pepper sauce, salt and pepper. Mix everything until combined with your hands. Divide the meat into 4 equal parts. Flatten the meat patties and place hard boiled eggs on each one. Carefully shape the meat around the egg. Pinch the seams together and gently roll it between your palms for a minute or so squeezing out the air between the egg and meat and sealing the edges of the meat. Now, roll each meat-wrapped eggs in the egg and finally roll them in the almond meal mixture.
5. Heat the coconut oil in the large skillet over medium high heat. Place the meat-wrapped eggs in skillet and brown slightly from all sides, about 1 minute on each side. I used a cast iron skillet, so i was able to transfer the same skillet into the oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
6. For the sauce, whisk together mayo, mustard and cayenne pepper sauce. Cut each Scotch egg into quarters and drizzle the sauce. Serve warm.
by Ali Diaz