Blog 1 of 30.  I am doing my best to commit to 30 days of blogging starting today.  They may not all be long or as rich in content as some but I promise to do my best.   I put out a request for topics from my friends and Facebook people and I got a ton of feedback.   Todays blog subject was requested by a friend of mine.  She asked me to talk about wine and whether we should avoid it because of the sulfites it contains.

In case you don’t know what sulfites are   “Very simply, sulfites are a preservative to wine, which is a volatile food product (ever open a wine and it’s bad by the next day?). Wineries have been using sulfur around wine for a long time, as far back as the Roman times. Back in Roman times, wine makers would burn candles made of sulfur in empty wine containers (called Amphora) to keep the wines from turning to vinegar. Sulfur started to be used in winemaking (instead of just cleaning wine barrels) in the early 1900’s to stop bacteria and other yeasts from growing. It also helps in the extraction of pigments in wine, making red wines ‘redder’.” (winefolly.com)   Some people can’t tolerate them and can have reactions that can be mild or life threatening….so in the case of an allergy to sulfites, wine should be avoided unless it is guaranteed 100% sulfite free.   There aren’t a lot of sulfite free wines offered in most liquor stores but in more progressive cities there may be more options and they are usually organic.  Here is a link to some options for sulfite free wines if its something you are trying to avoid.  Beyond sulfites, if you choose to drink wine the best route to go is to find an organic wine that you like.  You will get less sulfites, pesticides and herbicides in your glass if you choose organic.  Wine folly provides a brief outline about what labels mean and what to look for.

Cheers!

CHH